
Pictured above is an Okinawa Shishi pair. Shishi dogs are a big part of the culture here on Okinawa both on and off base. It actually comes more from Chinese tradition than Japanese. The word Shishi derives from the Chinese word Shisa meaning lion-dog. Anywhere on the island of Okinawa when you walk into a building you will see on each side of the door or awning a shishi dog. One will always have it's mouth shut and the other's mouth is open. Their purpose is to protect all those coming and going from that building. They are said to hold your warrior spirit at the door when you go home and you can pick it up when you leave so you can have a peaceful time with your family. It eventually changed to being used on all building, not just the home.
Although we obviously don't believe in these little statues holding our spirits, I still thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you all. As I learn new things about the culture here, I hope that you can learn a little with me.

No comments:
Post a Comment